Sunday, July 16, 2006

Thanks to the Wooster Collective, I came across this anti-graffiti campaign created by BBDO West. This propaganda is being used in San Francisco to support the Mayor's Graffiti Abatement Program. The funny thing, to me, is that these pictures seem to glorify graffiti, not vilify it. I mean, if it’s suppose to make me feel like “oh, look at that horrible vandalism” - it’s not working. If anything, it makes me more interested in the art of tagging. Just look how pretty these otherwise boring domestic spaces have become now that they have art on the walls. I, for one, think it's magnificent. And I can't understand why other people don't see the beauty.





Got an email from some guys I went to grad school with in Lincoln. Seems they've put together a literary pamphlet they're calling The Cupboard. Check it out. Print it off. Go and distribute it in your city. And heads up to all writers: they're currently accepting submissions. Both editors are cool and they have good taste.

Today has been all about me and Eric Satie. His album After the Rain is on permanent repeat in my stereo because it is perhaps the ultimate music to write to, and I am in the midst of an important revision.

Thanks to CSP, here is a link to a fascinating article at New Scientist called "13 Things That Do Not Make Sense."