Sunday, November 30, 2008



Check out my new piece at Abjective:

"A Mash-Up of Caribou and Faulkner"




*



Collage artist Eduardo Recife:














*



Caitlin has recently gotten into Emily Dickinson. Have you ever read Emily Dickinson? I ignored Emily Dickinson because I figured I would dislike her work because it is popular which typically means boring. At first I resisted - it's most certainly an acquired taste - but the work has grown on me. (And for the record, her work isn't boring.)

Here is one Caitlin read to me last night that I really liked:


1670

In Winter in my Room
I came upon a Worm --
Pink, lank and warm --
But as he was a worm
And worms presume
Not quite with him at home --
Secured him by a string
To something neighboring
And went along.

A Trifle afterward
A thing occurred
I'd not believe it if I heard
But state with creeping blood --
A snake with mottles rare
Surveyed my chamber floor
In feature as the worm before
But ringed with power --

The very string with which
I tied him -- too
When he was mean and new
That string was there --

I shrank -- "How fair you are"!
Propitiation's claw --
"Afraid," he hissed
"Of me"?
"No cordiality" --
He fathomed me --
Then to a Rhythm Slim
Secreted in his Form
As Patterns swim
Projected him.

That time I flew
Both eyes his way
Lest he pursue
Nor ever ceased to run
Till in a distant Town
Towns on from mine
I set me down
This was a dream.



*




I just preordered Blake Butler's forthcoming novella Ever. You should also preorder it because if you do Blake will sign it and send along free stuff.

It is 104 pp with illustrations by Derek White, perfectbound.
Projected to ship by 01/01/09

The price is $12 plus $1.75 shipping.

Order from the official site.


Here are two (amazing) blurbs:

Within the psychic architecture that is EVER, Blake Butler explores the way
bodies swell and contract, going from skin to house and back again. And the
way houses too shrink to fit us first like clothing and then like skin and
then tighter still. The result is a strange, visionary ontological
dismemberment that takes you well beyond what you'd ever expect.
--Brian Evenson


Blake Butler is a daring invigorator of the literary sentence, and the room-ridden narrator of his debut novella, EVER, nerves her way into a hallucinative ruckus of rousing originality.
--Gary Lutz



Here is a sample of the artwork inside:










Here are two preview trailers:










I intend to do scholarship on Butler's work.



*




"Welcome to I Dose, the perfect Binaural Beats experience!

Binaural beats affect our brainwaves directly and can alter moods, behavior, even consciousness.

Sound crazy? We thought so too. But guess what? We tried it and it works!

You can now choose the state you want easily.

What should I do to try this out?

1. Sit or lay down in a comfortable place.
2. Wear your headphones.
3. Choose your desired state from the following list.
4. Close your eyes and enjoy the ride."


[yes, it is free]



*




Artist Samuel François "makes his first marks by intervening in a rough way on urban space":